Cymdeithas Hanes Resolfen History Society

A web log for the Resolven History Society which publishes articles and stories related to Resolven and the immediate surroundings.

Monday, May 22, 2006

A Brief History of Resolven Rugby Club 1885 to Present

The Vaughan Field 2006
In the beginning

If the “Good Book” itself can begin with the words “In the Beginning” then why not this brief offering. The main source of information for this article is the Club’s Centenary Book – “Resolven RFC – 100 YEARS OF RUGBY” written by the late JR Davies of Neath Road Resolven. The book had been researched in great depth and must be accepted as an accurate account of the Club’s first one hundred years.It appears that the Club was founded in 1885. Two representatives of a Newport (Mon) Engineering firm arrived in Resolven to install boilers at Glyncastle Colliery. These young men were playing members of Newport RFC and during their stay combined business with pleasure by training to keep them selves fit for the rugby matches to follow. The first rugby ball was seen at “cae’r berllan” (orchard’s field) in the vicinity of the present library. The strange activity of Charlie Thomas and Alf Morgan soon gained the curiosity of the locals who required no second invitation to join in. A local team soon followed and so was born the game of Rugby Union Football in the village.

“Grounds” for Improvement

The Club first played at Tan-y- Rhiw, and after a few seasons moved to the Brick Field. In 1898, Sardis field was used as a playing base before moving again, this time to the Farmers Field. The club also took its first sabbatical in 1904 – 6 owing to the religious revival of that time.The Drehir ground was used between the wars and the ground had a dressing room and grandstand, which were the Club’s greatest asset and the culmination of a half-century of hard work. The Second World War posed a threat to the very existence of the Rugby Club since a munitions factory (now known as TRW Steering Systems) was built at Drehir. In 1945, Resolven faced a rather unique position of being a member club of the Welsh Rugby Union without a ground.
However, owing to the hard work of Officials and Committee the Club moved to a new ground at Tan-y-Rhiw field (our present home) which opened on the 31st October 1946. The Club was much indebted to Capt. J.N. Vaughan who had granted the use of the field. On the 14th October 1954 the Vaughan family of Rheola kindly donated the freehold of the property to Resolven Rugby Football Club and the re-named Vaughan Rugby Ground and Pavilion was officially opened.
Resolven Rugby Sports and Social Club was formed in 1957 and soon became a focal point of social activity in the village. The facilities of the club have been improved including extensions to the Clubhouse, new dressing rooms, a second playing field and floodlights all gained by the hard work and generosity of those with the Club at heart.

Performance rating

Over a span of 118 years the Club has enjoyed varying degrees of success. It is difficult to compare success in any era since sheer survival could be deemed the ultimate success in the early years.The Club won the old West Wales Rugby Union Championship in 1934-35 and it is difficult for youngsters today to appreciate the magnitude of that achievement alone. The 1970’s and 80s were generally disappointing however the 1990s heralded a change in the Club’s fortunes with an era of unprecedented success. Section E of the West Wales was won in 1989. Following reorganisation of Rugby in Wales in 1994 the club progressed from Division Seven to the dizzy heights of Division Two. In 1995 – 96 the Glamorgan County Silver Ball was won in a memorable encounter with Penygraig at the Brewery Field. The 1990’s also featured two major Welsh Cup encounters, with the mighty Pontypool almost humbled in the process and a team of Welsh Internationals in the form of Llanelli RFC given a tight game.
However, following the Rugby World Cup in 1995 the world of rugby changed forever, as the game was declared “open”. Hindsight is a wonderful thing however there is no doubt that the advent of semi professionalism laid the seeds of destruction of not only Resolven but also many other teams throughout Wales and beyond. Most crucial to this was the loss of ownership, which many traditional supporters felt towards their team. This is a trend, which is currently being laid bare as our national game struggles to embrace a regional structure below international level.

The Future

Resolven RFC took its second voluntary “sabbatical” during the season of 2002-03. The wounds of the events which led up to the loss of our senior side are far too fresh to discuss with clarity, however let it be suffice to say that the Club continued to play rugby throughout its troubles, by way of its Youth and Junior sections which are the seedbed and foundation of any club. It is also appropriate to congratulate the Committee and friends of Resolven RFC that kept the Club afloat both financially and on the field during the lowest of times.Currently, a side which is composed of players which are either Resolven boys or have played for our junior sides are re-starting Resolven’s fortunes on the playing field. The new side has enjoyed much success so far and was unbeaten in 2003. Despite achieving promotion to Division Three South West in 2004, the retirement of key players made the following season rather a trial for a young squad. Nevertheless there is a “buzz” in the Club, a cabinet minister as Club President and the discussion on the touchline concerns what is happening on the field rather than that off it.

This article appeared originally in “Resolfen Recalled” and was written by Alun Morgan. It has subsequently been updated by Trefor Jones.


Post a Comment

<< Home