Cymdeithas Hanes Resolfen History Society

A web log for the Resolven History Society which publishes articles and stories related to Resolven and the immediate surroundings.

Thursday, May 05, 2022

Resolven Miners

 The Society has recently received this fascinating photograph of a group of miners in the first decade of the 20th century. many thanks to Mr John lewis. His message is inserted below. 






Dear Trefor Jones

 

I attach a scanned copy of an interesting old photograph that was passed down to me by my parents who were both born in Resolven. The photo shows a group of miners, including my grandfather William John Lewis (1879-1948) who is pictured sitting in the centre of the front row. My paternal grandparents lived at 88 John Street, Resolven. I believe the photo was taken some time in the decade of the 1910s. The surrounding mount is embossed with the name of the well-known local photographer J.T.Davies (Trevor Davies) ( grandfather of Glyn Taxi Davies Ed. )  and his address at 4 Cory Street, Resolven.

 

I hope this old photo will be suitable for displaying on your weblog for the Resolven History Society. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has a copy in their family collection or can identify one of their ancestors in the photo.

 

Kind regards

 

John Lewis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home