The opening of the Recreation Ground in Resolven
Our own publication, "Resolfen Recalled", adds a little to the story. The ground was given to the Parish Council in 1913, and plans were put in place to fence the area and lay out the ground. Resolven is described as a "populous and increasing centre", which needed a place of general recreation. The fact that it opened in 1926, is not down to the tardiness of the Councillors but is probably down to the cost, since Resolven was already "heavily rated". The intervention of the Great War in 1914 and the privations of the early 1920s must also be factors. Other public works, such as the War Memorial in 1925 ,also received support from Colonel Edwards Vaughan.
A copy has been sent to Mr Aylwin Jones, the Chairman of Resolfen Community Council.